How To Keep Your Dogs Teeth Clean!
Updated: Nov 16, 2022
Sirius Pet Styling in Las Vegas, NV is dedicated to keeping our Dog & Cat Grooming customers up-to-date and informed on a variety of topics related to the health and well-being of their pup. This particular topic discusses the importance of keeping your dogs teeth clean and what you can do at home to ensure they maintain a healthy smile.
Just like people, dogs need regular dental care, but unfortunately, dental hygiene for dogs is often overlooked. Many people seem to just expect dogs to have bad breath, and few people brush their dogs’ teeth frequently enough.
WHAT SHOULD I USE TO BRUSH MY DOG’S TEETH?
Use a moistened dog toothbrush with soft bristles. If you do not have a specially designed pet toothbrush, you can also use a child’s toothbrush, a finger toothbrush or a cotton swab.
USE PET TOOTHPASTE, NOT HUMAN TOOTHPASTE
Pet toothpaste is often flavored like poultry, meat and other dog-friendly flavors. Never use human toothpaste, baking soda or salt as these are not safe for your dogs health.
HOME DOG TEETH CLEANING TIPS
• Use a specially designed dog toothbrush or a recommended alternative.
• Give your dog a small sample of the toothpaste to introduce the taste.
• Lift the lip to expose the outside surfaces of your dog’s gums and teeth.
Brush with gentle motions to clean the teeth and gums, as you would your own.
• Clean the outside (cheek-facing) surfaces, as most pets will not allow you to brush the inside surface of the teeth.
• Be sure to reach the back upper molars and canines, as these teeth tend to quickly build up tartar.
• Reward your dog with play, petting or a favorite activity to positively reinforce the brushing process.
If you’re uncomfortable brushing your dogs teeth, you're not alone! Ask about our teeth cleaning services when booking your next appointment.
Be sure to follow Sirius Pet Styling in Las Vegas on Facebook or Instagram,